Sunday, February 14, 2010

Since visiting Oakland in November of 2008, I have noticed some things about this region that are very unfamiliar (like mowing your lawn in winter. ) I've lived the first 28 years of my life in Utah, so that is a big factor in why I have never seen them before (other than in books or t.v.) or why they just don't seem to be occurring in the right season.

Although I have lived here for nearly a year they still throw me for a loop.

I am going to start a little ongoing series called "I am a foreigner here." I hope to include pictures with each of these entries so that I can better illustrate why.

These weren't the only flowers I got on Valentine's Day, but they were the most unexpected. I wish you could smell them!

Both of these pictures are from our back yard.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

My cousin from Manteca California was just telling me that she was able to harvest vegetables from her winter garden. Winter garden!!! What I wish I could have a winter garden. Going out and picking a tomato whenever I need one. That would be wonderful. So I'm sorry that you have to mow your lawn in winter. But at least you can do a garden if you want to.

Anonymous said...

I want flowers in my yard right now! It's ok. We've had an ok winter and I will survive!

melanie said...

It's definitely NOT a Utah backyard! Although our weeds are green and flowering! ha ha